Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 2 of 100 days as a New Scoutmaster

So while I prepared yesterday, I ended up writing my thoughts and it evolved into my scoutmaster's vision statement. It will take a  while but I hope to get the Scouts to come up with their own vision of our success.



"If I may take just a few moments of your time, I want to share with you my vision for this troop. A vision is a picture of what future success looks like. If we can see it, we can be it.  In the best tradition of Scouting, this will be a boy-run troop. My vision of what success looks like comes in parts.
As Scoutmaster I see myself fulfilling my responsibility for the safety of everyone and the general direction of the troop’s program. I see the troop operating according to the Scout Oath and Law, and following the guidance of the National Council. We are all here to help one another have the best possible experience. The Scout Oath and Law can guide us in that direction throughout our lives.
I see the adult leaders giving responsibility for leading the troop to the senior patrol leader and the troop’s other youth leaders. We will always be available to coach and mentor them, but as much as possible I see us staying on the sidelines while the senior patrol leader and youth leaders plan and carry out a great program for the troop. We will not hide that coaching and mentoring. In fact, now and then we will ask you to watch us doing it.
The Troop will offer boys the opportunity to explore the outdoors and experience new adventures.  The troop will continue to expand the outdoor program. It will be the boys' responsibility to research and discuss new and exciting locations for future outings.
Advancement is a very important part of any Scouting program. Troop 745 is committed to providing boys the experiences and resources necessary for rank advancement. It is the responsibility of the individual scout to set his goals and put into action a plan to achieve those goals. The troop will provide all the necessary support: Troop Guides, Merit Badge counselors, etc. The troop will be a resource for advancement while upholding the integrity of the rank.
A quality troop also must reflect service to others and duty to God. Troop 745 will expand its efforts in community service. We will also continue to do our Duty to God by our renewed commitment to the Scouts Own Program. At this time we have an active Troop Chaplain and Chaplain's Aide. We will work together to start holding Sunday services at all campouts.
My vision of success includes everyone, both youth and adult, seeing himself as here to help each of you learn as much as you can. It is my desire for all the boys to feel this is “Their Troop” and that they have pride in what it stands for. All members are to be treated with respect and dignity. I want all boys to develop a concern for each other's welfare. We are here for you. I see us doing all we can to make it possible for you to enjoy the fellowship of other Scouts."

No comments: