Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Marketing the Scouting Community

I have been very lax in blogging recently. I am trying to wrap up my Wood Badge ticket.

I  have been relatively active on the scouting community. I recently  had a request for my address from the Project manager Linda Flemming.  A few days later I recieved a large padded envelope  in the mail. It had a Letter from the Chief Scout Executive, another sheet explaining the item was a Beta, and a beta  scouting community button.

I truly appreciate the button and letter. I will wear it proudly. I was however concerned that they sent  this all in such a large envelope. I will tuck the letter away, but it is not going  to be framed so having it uncreased   was a bit of overkill. I agree with Mike Rowe  that "green" is not the right  color for  the enviromental conscienousness  movement. Should it be brown? I couldn't tell you.  Scouting has espoused the Leave No Trace or minimum impact  theory for a long time.  I hope that National Council will leave less of a trace  when shipping items, in the future.

Leave No Trace is not just habits of outdoor behavior, but a way of living and being responsible for the use of our natural resources at all times. It's turning off the computer. It's recycling  the envelopes. It's living "Leave No Trace" not just preaching it.

3 comments:

boyandgirlscoutsdotcom said...

Congrats! I know I've appreciated your work here on the net.

Anonymous said...

No offense, but that sounds ungrateful. Perhaps someone else would like to have that "uncreased" copy for display.

It's important to protect the environment, but it's also easy to get carried away. I mean, why aren't we taking our old milk jugs to be refilled?

Again, nothing personal, I like your blog. I just think the whole "green" thing gets taken too far sometimes.

Garry K. said...

I looked all over the envelope to make sure it didn't say anywhere do not fold. I'm not sure what stopped the mail person from cramming the envelope in my 6x6 hole at the community mailbox. I am sure some one framed the letter.
Yet the FCC license I have to display at my employers office was folded twice.

I did and do go overboard on the reduce and reuse parts of the triangle. It's just me. I do reuse my milk jugs all the time. (birdfeeders, easy to handle block ice, seedling trays, etc.)