Monday, August 25, 2008

Training, What do you need?

The night I was told I was going to be Comittee Chairman, I was trained as a den leader and nothing more.
That same month, I went to Committee Chair Training. The funny thing was it was the same training as Cubmaster. Do I think it was adequate? Not really. Didn't cover much except that the cubmaster ran the boys and the chairman ran the leaders. So while I know what the cubmaster knows, I'll still go to a new cubmaster course sometime.

What do you really need to know? Now this is my humble opinion, you need to have an idea of what everyone does. I know of no better way than to attend training for every position. Is it overkill? I hope so.

I want to focus on this duty in the job description: If the Cubmaster is unable to serve, assume active direction of the pack until a successor is recruited and registered. If you read the Cubmaster job description, you will find that he needs to be ready to fill in for any den leader's that can't serve. He also needs to be ready to fill in for you. This goes back to my earlier point that you really should be aware of the duties of every position and if possible be trained for that position. What better way to be aware of the duties of the position than to be trained for it. Many cubmaster's are selected as they can't or don't feel they have the availability to be Den leader's. Same is true of many Committee Chair's. I venture that the Cubmaster and Committee Chair need be the most available and most active members of the Pack. In many ways you and the Cubmaster are the glue that holds things together when they want to fall apart.

Now on to the regular blog posts.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Congrats and welcome to blogging. I look forward to your posts, I am a blogger and scouter but have not mixed the two (much)...

Good Luck
YiS
Bryans