Monday, June 8, 2009

Scouting as a Contiuum

Heresy, I say, It is heresy. Scouting in the US is not a contiuum but 4- 6 seperate programs that should not be mixed. I love making input where I think I can change things that can be changed.

Some of you may ask why I said 4-6 programs. Well, lets look at continuum theory first.

Continuum (theory), anything that goes through a gradual transition from one condition, to a different condition, without any abrupt changes or "discontinuities".

Traditional non LDS scouting does not operate as a continuum. We have a lions pilot, who will have to reregister/transfer next fall to participate as Tiger Cubs. You have Cub Scouts in 1st through 3rd grade. Webelos are regulated by the pack and participate in pack activites, but operate somewhere between Cubs and Boy scouts. Many will argue the break or discontiuity bewtween cubs and Webelos. There is a very hard break between Webelos and Boys scouts, as you must fill out a new registration form to move from pack 458 to troop 458. Then there are hard breaks between Boys scouts, and Venturing. Varsity unfortunately seems out in left feild unless your in the LDS church.

I'm not a member of the LDS church but from the rules I see looking into their program there is a a smoother transition from program to program. The LDS packs are geared at age level boys not grade level. A tiger is a tiger from 7 years to 7 years and 364 days. Bang bang bang right up the ranks into Boy scouting. Where the program structure changes right into the patrol method. The LDS scouters, I talk to say the boys know exactly what happens after they get their Arrow of Light and turn 11. They go right into the church's boy scout program.

I am in a pack and have always been in packs outside of the contiuum. My pack has no default scout troop, but we have 7 troops in a 4mile radius of our meeting place. Our boys don't see the next step in scouting. We are always trying to get a Den cheif and show the boys the rest of scouting. A den cheif to recruit our boys to his unit. Yet, all they see is their parents as the leaders. Our webelos leave and the boys never see them again. Its not very continuous.

I hear RUMORS that national is tweaking the requirements for Arrow of Light. Possibbly making them more equivalet to scout or even tenderfoot. The purpose being Webelos retention for the scouting continuum. Our pupose doesn't stop, and our program doesn't either. It is continuous from first grade to 20Yrs old. As a Parent, I would like to see my son leave scouting with Arrow of Light, Eagle Scout and The Venturing Silver Award having conitued throughout the whole program.

So before National releases a new Webelos book and tweaks the program for next years webelos. How do the requirements for AOL and scout or tenderfoot stack up?

To be continued. (How the requirements stack up today.)

1 comment:

boyandgirlscoutsdotcom said...

I think this disconnect is due to the way the program parts have been added on over the years. I like the solid break between Cubs and older Scouts because it helps prevent the Cub mom syndrome that has parents clinging to their kids and not allowing them to get out and become independent young men. I don't find there to be a break between Boy Scouts and Venturing. Most of my crew is co-enrolled in my troop. I know there are different methods in Venturing, but that's not the same as moving from Boy Scouts to Venturing. I know nothing about Varsity.