Thursday, December 11, 2008

Life Enhanced

Last spring I went to Woodbadge, I thought about my ticket items for nearly a month between weekends.  I have items that enhance me and ones that enhance the program. I'm not struggling with  my ticket items but i'm not progressing really well either.

I recently read a post from Lonestar scouter  about Scouting being Life Enhanced.  What a great  thought!  It makes a great elevator pitch,  When some asks you what is Scouting? you turn around and say scouting is life enhanced. That gets you in the door.  You now have time to talk about what you mean by Life Enhanced.  Life enhancedto me means doing things I would do anyway but with more purpose. 

When you go to the grocery store do you as the scouter or your scout really pay attention to what is going on.  Probablly not.  I know  when my wife sends me after hamburger, buns,  and milk. I go right to those items and just grab  them. But when my wife tells me figure out a dinner for tonight, My mind kicks in. First I go to the fresh foods, Vegetables and meats, to find an inspiration. If I find an inspirational meat, I head to veggies next.  Then wrap up the meal  in picking up any remaining items. That's what scouting is supposed to do for all of the scouts.  Take life from a checklist of do this , to an adventure. 

So what does this have to do with my wood badge ticket, I should have kept my ticket items to life enhancing items. So when you finally get off to the Wood badge think about  things that you do because they are your scouting job.  Then think about how you make them life enhancing. If you need to attend roundtable, be part of roundtable.  If you need to put on a pack meeting, then Put on a packmeeting that is original. Original songs, orginal skits, original cheers, etc.  If you need to do this anyway why not do it in a way that helps you grow as a scout. 

A scouter is a scout with experience. If scouting is life enhanced, then it should enhance scouters as well.


No comments: