Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Working in IT Versus being a Scouter.

Working in IT, MIS, Network Administration  or whatever you want to call it is very often the job of an unsung hero.  You work in a room that's loud as all get out. Alot of times in some dark closet of an office or cubicle. After years of doing this work you tend to develop some phobia of recognition. To some extent, this is a phobia of praise.  After all no one asks the IT guy to lunch, says you did a good job on making sure all our backups were done last week.  

Your asking, What does this have to do with scouting? When was the last time you told your comissioner, committee chair, advancement chair, etc. good job. These "books" positions are  the IT types of jobs of the scouting world. After a particularly good  pack meeting the  Cubmaster will get a good job at on the back.  So give them a pat on their back before they  develop a phobia of praise. 

I have noticed this phobia of recognition and praise more often in the past year.  Late last spring,  is when I first noticed it.  I was being told by several people that my DE  knew who I was.  I kept thinking how could this be. I haven't met him but 3 or 4 times.  I thought I had kept my head down and  out of site.  This really couldn't be, I was 1 volunteer out of 140 units.  

Well over time I keep putting my head up there a bit more each time.  I went to Wood Badge.  Nothing really remarkable, but It was the beginning of my search for scouting knowledge.  So wood badge made me volunteer  for roundtable staff.   Helping out here, I was invited to the meeting after the meeting. Our roundtable staff  goes  to Taco Cabana after the meeting.  This  eventually  gave me a temporary invitation  to cook at council events.  After the first cooking session I was added to the permanent list. Along the lines of the roundtable staff ticket item,I thought TDC  would be a good class to take. Well that landed me on District Training Staff.  I attended a training staff meeting, and realized I should be going to District Committee at least occasionally.  Then word leaked out that we would be redistricted.  Even more incentive to  go to District Committee.  

Each time my head  kept creeping higher, more recognizable, more chances to get praise.    This past Saturday I finally realized what I've done.  The new DE for my new district was in the training audience and introduced themselves after one of the sessions. It caught me off guard and I was quite... embarrassed. I guess that's the right word.  I think she heard my name mentioned in the training, but they also knew I was going to be in their district.  Not very long ago, I would have taken this as a sign I was a trouble maker. This time I felt praised.  The network manager in me, thought that was an unusual and awful feeling.  To the scouter it felt good, my good work and effort had been rewarded simply by  someone knowing my name. 

Take the time to praise your  IT person before they get cynical and over cautious about praise. It'll be part of doing a good turn daily, and make them warm inside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary,

I think you've done a fine job as our Committee Chair. Praise be to you Gary Knapp!!!

Now I think you are realizing your worth after reading your blog-the worth and sparkle I saw in you a couple of years ago when I first met you as you bashfully entered the Fernandez Library wearing your sharp, crisp blue Cub Scout polo. My famous "gorilla grip," shook your hand firmly and held onto it tightly as I led you forth and told everyone during our Pack 458 recruiting night in the Fernandez Library in my (strong) voice, "Hello everyone, come and meet our new committee chair, he doesn't know it yet, but he will be!"

See how far you have come in such a short while?

As I sought a suitable replacement, to do as Bruce Willis said in the "Die Hard" movies that real guys like us all love, "to find (another) that guy," I think I did a rather fine job!

Gary Knapp is awesome!!!

Now the tough part:
Keep up the good work.