Tuesday, November 25, 2008

GreenBar.ws: Teaching How to Patrol

A few weeks ago, I wrote about getting things started. How do you get things going in your pack. For us it was  getting started participating in a Webelos Campout or Web-o-ree.  I have been thinking back to that campout. It was the first time our pack had taken the Webelos camping. A great many of us had  camping experience. We lacked Patrol camping experience. While we all loved the campout and watched as  the scouts work as a team.  It fell to us as Dad's  to take care of the boys. Even though half of the group have finished the Arrow of Light requirements, It was the first time any of Pack 458 went Webelos Den Camping.  A couple of times I tried to push a couple of the boys into  getting the food going, but in the end Dad was running the show. 

As Dad's we did our job, but as scout leader's  we need to work some more on the patrol method.  I frequently wander the digital frontier. I recall a site that had a book on it that taught  more about the patrol method, by means of competition. It went through each patrol members position.  It only had 8 positions and a scoutmaster.  I think it was the Pine Patrol or something like that.  It was good for the competitions  that were held during that era. 

I am told often that as Committee Chair, I am a key piece of  the Webelos to Scout Transition.  I oversee the pack program.  My Webelos leader is just awesome, though some in the pack, first had some doubts about him. I am pretty sure all of his scouting experience leaned more to the practical aspects of ranch life. I have to admit I couldn't tell you much about my scouting life except for a phenominal campout that started by trip ruining rain. I hate being cold, and even worse is being cold and wet. I know nothing about how a patrol functions. I know that patrols are THE method to scouting.  Even going through Wood Badge, the ultimate in scout training, I didn't pickup  much beyond, Patrol Leader, Assistant Patrol Leader, Scribe, and Chaplain's Aide. In our Troop 1 the Patrol Leader's went to the PLC and found out what was happening the next day and relayed the information.  Easy Enough. But what do they really do?

I happened upon www.GREENBAR.ws looking for information on how to better use the patrol method in our next campout.  First, I have to say I did no know that .WS is the top level domain for Samoa.  Next,  yes the site hasn't been updated since 2003.  I do hope it stays up.  I Found it interesting how this author chose to tackle the subject.  First, he divided the work into information for adults and information to be related to the scouts.  So far, I have put my attention in to the portion to be related to the scouts and even further in to the patrol organization. Anthony Mako, the author, has 10 positions in his patrol. Chaplain's aide is not one of them.  He goes through each as if he is talking to the Patrol Leader. 

The site has been an enjoyable read so far. If you find you need some more information on how a Patrol works and the positions involved, take a look at www.greenbar.ws

No comments: