Monday, November 10, 2008

Truisms, Axioms, or even Maxims

truism is a claim that is so obvious or self-evident as to be hardly worth mentioning, except as a reminder or as a rhetorical or literary device.

An axiom is a principle that is accepted as true without proof.

A maxim is a brief expression of a general truth, principle, or rule of conduct

However you say it, it can help or hurt your unit.

Sometimes it is hard to believe that we deal with truisms or axioms in scouting, but we often do.  When confronted with them it is almost appalling.  I can't  quite say how I feel about it. Now looking at another direction even I do it. 

This weekend I was reminded of a maxim that helped Janet Jackson in her early years. "What have you done for me lately?"  And our spouses then  wonder why we attend so many meetings and after meeting meetings and volunteer all the time.  It had started out  that I was going to have a weekend off.  Well then I attended  the after roundtable meeting. Not all the roundtable staff attends but a good portion of it does. We drop into  a local fast food joint  and plan the rountable presentations for the next roundtable , tuck in a bit of food, and finish off the evening.  I ended up volunteering for the chow line at a council event this  weekend.  Out of 25 hours of working time  we probablly did 10 hours of work across 3 days. I thought it would be a good relaxing way to pass this weekend  and not be infront of my pc. I was right. 
So here I am earning my brownie points, and it comes at me. SMACK!   "Is your pack participating this weekend?" Nope, we are pretty busy outside  of district and council events.   The point this person was getting at was that  even though I was out  earning my brownie points, this has nothing to do  with the pack getting brownie points. The council isn't seeing my pack's  name run across its desk enough. Argh!
So now using my patented leadership method of  leadership known as "LEAD, FOLLOW or GET OUT OF MY WAY! " I have a mission.  I have one month until the next  council event. Time to get us on the table in a good way. 

So you may wonder is this in the chairman's job description? I personally think this should be the cubmaster's job.  Your job description includes "If the Cubmaster is unable to serve, assume active direction of the pack until a successor is recruited and registered."  I have a cubmaster, He does a good job overall.  I just have to  help  him with  staying involved with district and council  events. A large part of it is he works Saturdays, and can't lead by example at these events. Remember these district or council events are put on by volunteers, maybe even volunteers in your  pack.  Support your volunteers and atend district or council events.

No comments: