Friday, November 7, 2008

The hazards of not saying no.

I have intended to update the blog recently, but truth be told I have spent the two weeks trying to relax and de-stress.  This Wedensday, I left work feeling ill. I'm still not 100%, but I'm back at the grindstone.  I think this is one time my farm driven work ethic has proven too much for me.  For those of the modern age or jobs that have always include benefits such as vacation and sick days, let me  introduce you to the work ethic on a family farm.  To sum it up in a sentence "the cows need milked."

I came from a traditional farm where  you have a some livestock such as cattle, hogs, sheep and or goats,  then add some land for hay , and grains.  Things need to get done.  And they need to get done or else your lifestyle is ruined.  If the cows doesn't get milked, the milk goes rancid in the udder causing health problems for those that drink the milk, namely you.  When the hogs don't get fed they will turn canabal.  Crops  can rot in the field  and a whole host of other things that will soon find you  on the wrong side of the financial world.  So when I see things that need done I do them. 

Well over the past 3 months I have done them to my detriment.   We didn't have a popcorn kernel until I stepped in, I headed up the scout rally's. I kept pushing my body and soul.  I knew how much I was taking on late last year.  So thankfully I had the foresight  to get a Webelos Den Leader other wise that was going to fall on me as the outgoing Bear Den Leader. So this week, my body saw an opening and forced some me time to bring some balance back to my life. 

So don't forget to tack on some time to make sure you're unwound and healthy.  Now on to other things, and hopefully less stress a bit more balance.


No comments: