Thursday, December 18, 2008

The story of the Santa hat.

This year  Iwas in the mood to have more Christmas spirit. So how do I get and show more Christmas spirit? I thought to myself. I finally decided aftera trip to Party City, I must get a Santa hat.  I have seen 100 different regular red and white  Santa hats, verying from a 1.50  to propbablly $40. I saw christmass hats with springy trees, ones with antlers and lights, even  pimp styled hats.

I decide on a moderately priced hat with real faux mink trim and ball. It cost $8.00, and it was a bit different. I was happy with my purchase.  My first trip in to the real world was two weeks before Christmas.  One of the first reactions I got was you need to retire that hat, it's dirty. I politely explained that my hat was not dirty it was just trimmed with real mink cloth.  

The next  outing was to a cub adventure camp where I helped in the kitchen. While talking with another leader he asked whether I had killed the faux mink myself. I explained that no I had acquired the cloth from a real mink who knitted for a hobby.  He decided he liked his version of the story better.  I now knew I must get a better story  for my Santa Hat.  As I am a boring ole committee chair and not an exciting cubmaster   I may have to work on this more, but here it goes the  story of my christmas hat.

I was out with my son's webelos den in the East Texas Piney Woods,  the Den leader was teaching the scouts how to identified and follow animals by their tracks and scat.  One of the boy saw some tiny little tracks that no one could identify. So we looked up  the track in one of the books we took along with us. We discovered it was a semi-rare Texas Mink.  Having read how crafty these were  I started following the tracks.  Like other mink, I knew I would have to be very careful and quiet as mink are easily spooked. After what seemed like two forever's of slowly moving  down the trail and tip toeing in between twigs setup like alarms, I came upon a river bank.  Then there I saw it, the mink was leaned back against a tree knitting  what looked to be faux mink cloth.  Being careful  to stay three quarters hidden. I moved closer  until I  thought I could grab the mink.  Taking extra time  to prepare, I swiped my hand out to grab the mink but before  I could get ahold of him he slipped out of his knitted mink coat  and used my hand as a spring board to dive into the river.  I waited and waited but I never saw it come out of the river.  So I took his little knitting and the ball of mink yarn. I made the mink's knittingt into the brim of my santa hat and used the ball of yarn for  the ball on the santa hat. Unfortunately for me I tracked a brown mink instead of a white mink, so that's why my santa hat has  brown real mink cloth  trim instead of white.

The morale of this story is if your going to be different you better have a good story to go with it.
Then again maybe I should have gone with the santa pimp hat instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A real faux mink woulda bit you on the ankle for stealing his coat, and then swam away.

I bet if you look closely at the trim, you'll see tiny teeth marks.