Monday, October 27, 2008

Getting things Started.

Many times we need to get things started.  We need to get the meeting going. we need to get the pack involved in belt loops, district activities, training, council events. As Chairman you can  take the pack to the bug juice but you can't make them drink.    So how do you get them to drink? 

I recently heard a story of faith and understanding God's ways.  A farmer had always believed in god, but recently was having trouble understanding  why the Lord would  allow his son to be crucified. On a particularlly cold and windy day  the farmer saw  some birds in the barn yard.  and watched as the fought the cold weather. He got the idea that he would open one of his barn doors so the birds who were too cold to fly  would go in the barn. He opened the door and the birds stood there. So he tried to shoo them in and ended up running around the barnyard. He  final said stupid birds how can I make you see that I'm tring to save you.  He thought about this  for a while and  finally   thought I would have to become one of the ...... His faith in God was never deeper and he never once questioned god's ways again.

So  how  do you get your pack to drink the bug juice? Lead the way.  I just came back from  our Council's first Web-O-Ree. (Before this year each district had a Web-O-Ree. ) In August, I sent an email to two parents who I thought would take on the challenge of heading up  our trip to the event.  My email was basically, I am going to this and I want one of you to make sure  it is setup for our boys to be successful at it. One of the parents had returned from Afganistan and his boy  was very interested since  last April when we saw the first flyer for the event.  The other is an OA member with a long history in scouting.   It happened that neither were the one that really stepped up. But I think my I am going attitude really sparked the flame in that person and  over the weekend I think we have 3  more webelos week-ends In the planning stages.

So what ever you want to start in your Pack, start by leading the way.  


No comments: